The town of Jimbolia is situated in the western part of Romania, 572 km from Bucharest by rail and 600 km by car, at the eastern longitude of 20 ° 38′ and the northern latitude of 45 ° 46′. Jimbolia lies in the western part of the Timis region, 39 km from the regional capital, Timisoara.
Geographically, it lies in the Banat Plains, between the plains of the Timis and Mures rivers, which are bordered by a series of villages, such as Checea, Carpinis, and Satchinez. The average altitude is 82m above sea level. Jimbolia also lies at the crossroads of some important communication routes that link Romania and the former Yugoslavia, being an important transit area at the border between Romania and Serbia.
In the Romanian urban system, Jimbolia is considered a small town, with less than 20,000 inhabitants. It is ranked 175 of the 261 Romanian cities and towns. Within the Timis region, Jimbolia lies in 4th place (with 11,113 inhabitants in 2002), after Timisoara, Lugoj, and Sânnicolau Mare; it has 1,5% of the region’s total population and 2,5% of its urban population.
The geological strata are highly fragmented and have a great tectonic mobility, being part of the Jimbolia Plains, a subdivision of the Mures Plains in the northern part of the Banat Plains.
The average temperature of 10.7 ° C and the average annual rainfall of 570mm are characteristic of the town ‘s climate. Underground and geothermal waters are an important aspect of the local hydrological system.
The vegetation consists mostly of steppe meadows that have been replaced by different cultures (mainly cereal plants). The soil is highly fertile chernozem.
The town was mentioned for the first time in 1332. It appeared under various different names, such as Chumbul, Chombol, Csomboly, Zsomboly. After the arrival of the first German settlers in 1776, the town received the name Hatzfeld, which was changed to Jimbolia in 1924. In 1857, Jimbolia was connected to Timisoara by one of the first railways in the country. The first industrial unit – the brick and tile factory “Bohn & Co” (the future “Ceramica” factory) was created in 1864. The second half of the 18th century brought important changes in the structure of the town. Many new buildings and monuments were built, such as the Csito Castle (1863), the Administration Palace (1878), and the statue of St. Florian (1866).
________________________________________After World War II, Jimbolia became an important industrial centre. Since the Romanian Revolution, which took place in December 1989, the town has undergone important economical, political, and social transformations. The current prospects of the town are positive as far as foreign investments and general development are concerned.
From an economic point of view, our major field of activity, agriculture, is of greatest importance. Of the 9735 hectares of fertile land, 97% is cultivated and 3% is pastures and hay-fields. 58% of the town’s active population is involved in industry. The industrial profile of the city is mainly determined by light industry (shoe, clothing, and textile industries), but also by the electronic, mechanical, and plastic industries. The largest industrial firms of the city are SUMIDA Romania (producing electronic components), ADIENT (auto sub-assemblies), HALM (hydraulic pumps), Faulhaber (micro motors), and Kabelsysteme Hatzfeld (audio-video cables).
The tertiary sector of industry encompasses the whole range of services and represents 38% of total industrial activity.
Jimbolia has two secondary railways, connecting Timisoara – Jimbolia – Kikinda (in the direction of Serbia), and Jimbolia – Lovrin. Jimbolia is also connected to the highways 59A, Timisoara– Jimbolia – Srbska Crnja (Serbia), and 59C, Jimbolia – Sannicolau Mare. The secondary road DJ 594 connects Jimbolia to Lovrin.
The town has five nursery schools, a primary school with over one thousand pupils, a secondary school and vocational school with twelve hundred pupils.
From a cultural point of view, Jimbolia boasts six museums and two memorial houses: "Sever Bocu" Press Museum, Stefan Jäger Museum, "Saint Florian" Firefighters Museum, The Romanian Railway Museum, Dr. "Karl Diel" Memorial House and "Petre Stoica" Memorial House. In addition, the Community Center and the city library organize throughout the year many cultural events.
The Press Museum, a unique establishment in our country, was established in 2007 as a result of the initiative and the efforts of the writer Petre Stoica with the support of the Local Council and Jimbolia's Town Hall.
Its collection contains newspapers that have been published beginning with the first half of the 19th century up to now, in Romania and in the Diaspora, written in languages as Romanian, German, Hungarian, Serbian, French, English, Bulgarian, Russian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Italian, Turkish, Hebrew etc. The publications cover different fields: literature, history, medicine, industry, sports and fashion. One can also come across a collection of old business cards belonging to famous personalities in the Romanian history and culture.
The Banat region has always been a cosmopolitan area where inhabitants of different ethnic backgrounds could live in peace and mutual understanding - the Press Museum captures and identifies with this cultural element.
The Romanian Railway Museum displays to visitors old objects specific to the rail transportation and an exhibition of postcards, travel tickets and types of coins from different periods.
"Saint Florian" Firefighters Museum houses antiques of over 130 years, such as various helmets, discharge pipes, gas and smoke-protection masks, along with different equipment ofintervention or even firefighting carts.
Stefan Jäger Museum - the entity is representative for the Swabian culture. Thus, the museum includes ethnography and archeology sections and a Swabian room and also the painter’s workshop where you can see paintings and drawings.
Dr. "Karl Diel" Memorial House - the memorial house that bears Dr. Karl Diel's name stores medical tools, medical volumes and treaties, as well as personal objects that belonged to the man that laid the foundation of the town's hospital.
"Petre Stoica" Memorial House hosts numerous scientific and literature volumes, along with an impressive collection of medals, photographs, and other old objects reflecting a special atmosphere of the place and highlighting the scent of passed times.
Yearly, in Jimbolia, cultural events take place, some of which became part of our local tradition. This kind of events are important because they answer to the necessities of the community. Being a town with ethnical diversity, the events organized in Jimbolia must include this characteristic, they must cover a large scale of demands. Therefore, the biggest event organized is the festival Jimbolia’s Days. It is an event that takes place for three days and combines cultural, sportive and musical activities.
In the winter season are organized the following events ‘Oh, Christmas Tree!’ – an international carolling festival, ‘Saint’s Ignatius Holiday’ – an international gastronomic competition that promotes traditional recipes from the Banat region, and Romania’s National Day.
Big events are also considered those regarding the three important churches from Jimbolia. On the day of the Dormition of the Mother of God, the eastern orthodox community celebrates the day of its church. Also, the Roman-Catholic churches celebrate their protectors in autumn on Saint Vendelin’s Day and on Saint Michael’s Day.
There are also two traditional sport events. One of them is a memorial cross country competition dedicated to a world champion from Jimbolia and the other is a competition dedicated to wrestling.
In Jimbolia, there are also more than ten restaurants, three accomodation units, and many bars.
Last but not least, the city has established several important international links with Kikinda (Serbia), Dunajska Streda (Slovakia), Pusztamérges, Csanadpalota, Mórahalom (Hungary) and Trebur ( Germany).